Wasabi fried rice
There is nothing better than well seasoned fried rice and this version incorporates the best bits of the classic with some fresh new elements. It’s always best to work fast with anything cooking in a wok and make sure to really work the rice and ingredients into the sauce for maximum flavour.
Recipe by Palisa Anderson
2 cups cooked koshihikari rice- preferably cooked the day before and left to dry out in the fridge covered overnight
½ cup green peas or edamame - let's not be snobs, frozen is fine.
80g pancetta cut into small cubes- okay let's be a little posh
80g cultured butter salted- alright very posh
½ tbs fresh grated Shima wasabi stem
2 organic eggs beaten
2 tbsp blended vegetable oil
1 small organic brown onion sliced in 1cm strips
6 organic spring onions cut in 1 cm pieces
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp dashi shoyu
2 wedges of lemon to serve
- Prep all ingredients and have them ready to use around your wok cooking area.
- Into a wok over very low heat, melt the cultured butter- pour into a separate bowl and stir in the grated wasabi, set aside.
- Put the wok back onto the stove and turn to high heat.
- When the wok is hot, place the pancetta in the wok and render a bit of the fat out, for about 1 minute. Add the onions and toss until coated with the fat, cook the onions for a minute and add the peas/edamame and cook for another minute.
- Add the rice and with the flat side of your spatula press the rice into the other ingredients to gently disperse the rice evenly around the wok.
- Add in the salt and dashi shoyu. Work the ingredients gently until they have all integrated into each other with the motion of flattening and flipping. You are trying to dry out the seasoning and ingredients so that they absorb into the rice.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Push the ingredients to one side and add oil to the empty space in the wok- when the oil starts to ripple slightly, add in the beaten egg and gently fold a few times to cook the eggs - when most of the eggs are no longer runny push rice on top of the egg and toss together a few times.
- Pour over the melted cultured butter and spring onions. Toss a few times to integrate. Turn off the heat.
- Plate your fried rice and serve with lemon wedges.