Seared tuna with wasabi mayonnaise and sesame
This is one of the most elegant and easiest ways to serve fresh tuna. The contrast between the bright pink flesh and the textured, seared crust is made even better with the classic wasabi mayonnaise accompaniment.
200g top loin of albacore tuna or other responsibly sourced fish*
20g Shima wasabi paste
30g Japanese mayonnaise such as Kewpie
30g sesame seeds, toasted
Optional: sliced daikon radish, spring onions and toasted nori to serve.
- Mix together the mayonnaise and wasabi in a bowl. Add more wasabi to taste, chill before serving.
- Leave the tuna out of the fridge to bring to room temperature before cooking.
- Heat a BBQ flat plate or pan over high heat and add a teaspoon of oil. Sear the tuna on each side for 10 seconds, just until the outside is coloured. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place toasted sesame seeds on a plate.
- Place the tuna on top and roll in this mixture to make a crunchy coating.
- Slice the tuna into 2cm thick slices and place on a plate.
- Serve with wasabi mayonnaise and sliced spring onions, radish and nori if using.
* Speak to your fishmonger about the best fish available.