Spanner crab tostada with avocado wasabi cream
A tostada is traditionally a loaded crispy tortilla and this version showcases luscious spanner crab meat with fresh and peppery flavours, reminiscent of a bright ceviche but with the added kick of Wasabi. Don’t be afraid to add more wasabi than you might think as this really adds freshness and depth.
Recipe by Magdalena Roze
4 tostada (I like to use Dona Cholita tortillas and fry them myself)
120g cooked spanner crab meat (works with all white crab meat)*
20g firm pear (Nashi is ideal), finely diced
20g breakfast radish, finely diced
4 tbsp olive oil
Squeeze of lime
Salt and pepper
Squeeze of lime, salt and pepper
Drizzle of olive oil
1 tsp Shima wasabi paste – start with a teaspoon and add more to taste.
- Shallow fry the tortilla in hot neutral oil in a pan until golden, then place onto a cooling rack. Repeat for the other 3 tortillas. Set aside and allow to cool while you prepare the dressing.
- Place avocado into a bowl, whisk in olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper and season with wasabi paste for a lovely little kick. Because of the fat and olive oil in this, your palate can take on more wasabi but of course, add to your liking.
- Spoon onto the tostada and then spoon the crab meat over the top.
- In a bowl, combine the apple, radish, olive oil and lime. Season with salt and pepper, and spoon over the crab. Garnish with wasabi leaves and flowers.
* Cooked crabbed meat is available from fishmongers and supermarkets.