Breakfast omelette with shiitake and wasabi condiment
A classic light and fluffy omelette that contrasts well with a rich condiment that is loaded with umami flavours. Great for an impressive brunch and complex enough for a fabulous lunch. Make sure to fry the curry leaves first for maximum aroma!
Recipe by Luke Burgess
IngredientsFor the omelette
4 free range eggs
50 ml full cream milk
50 ml pouring cream
Pinch of ground white pepper and sea salt
For the shiitake, curry leaf and wasabi condiment
250g shiitake mushrooms, finely sliced
10ml sesame oil
10 fresh curry leaves, finely sliced
20ml white soy
10g freshly grated ginger
50g Shima wasabi stalks, finely diced
20g freshly grated Shima wasabi stem
- To make the omelette base, combine the eggs with cream and milk in a medium size bowl, whisk gently to combine and add salt & pepper. Put the bowl in the fridge and reserve.
- To make the condiment, heat the butter in a medium sized pan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the finely sliced curry leaves and sauté until crisp. Add the finely sliced shiitake to the curry leaf butter and sauté until the mushrooms are tender. Add the soy & mirin and check the seasoning. Adjust if required.
- Take off the heat and add grated ginger, diced wasabi stalks and freshly grated wasabi stem. Stir through the mushroom mix and transfer to a bowl.
- Allow to cool at room temp. Check seasoning again and adjust if needed.
- To cook the omelette, heat 20 grams of butter in a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add half the egg mixture to the pan and mix with the back of a fork to prevent the egg from setting.
- Tilting the pan, spread the egg over the base of the pan, then tilt up the pan and tap the handle to gather the egg at the bottom end. Roll the top of the egg over to the middle and fold the bottom end to the middle with a spatula. Allow to cook for a further 15 seconds, until the egg is just set. Turn the omelette out onto a warm plate. Spoon a few generous tablespoons of the shiitake and wasabi condiment over the omelette. Serve immediately.
- Repeat with steps 6-8 with the remaining omelette mixture. Serve immediately.